Porsche Carrera 4S - Craig Farrar
Entered for the August 2013 competition.
Enter Competition | Back to Entries
Name: Craig Farrar
Model: Carrera 4S
Viewed: 2937 times.
Send to a Friend
How Craig Used Our Products
I've had the 911 for a year and a half now it's been a daily driver and an ongoing project getting it looking right. The first thing I did was apply Gtechniq g4, g1 and g2 on the glass. Next up were the headlamps they were starting to delaminate, so the only way to get rid of this was to take some brave pills and wet sand with 800,1000,1500, 2000,2500 and 3000 grit paper then use the 3m 3" pads with P1 to polish out the sanding marks.
The engine bay was next on the list, all the electrics and air intakes were covered or masked off with 3m tape. I then sprayed Autosmart g101 over all the engine bay left it for a few minutes to do its work. Then went at it with an old wheel brush to loosen all the crud. A quick rinse down with the hose on a low pressure mist setting, dried, then applied C3 and C1.5 silo seal to all the plastics & painted areas.
With just short of 90,000 miles on the clock the tail pipe trims looked pretty bad, I tried wire wool first which did nothing, so I went at it with a wire brush on a drill being careful to get the worst of it off, then sanded the scratches out with 1000 then 1500 sand paper, to get rid of the sanding marks. I then moved onto cloth mops and metal polishing soaps finally, finishing them off by hand with Autosol metal polish.
The wheels on the car were in pretty good condition, no curb damage but the paint was chipped and bubbling in places, so the only option was to get them refurbed. When I got the wheels back I did them one at a time, spaying them with the Bilberry wheel cleaner washes then applied three coats of Poorboys wheel sealant and Swissvax pneu. With the wheels off, the brake callipers were cleaned with the Bilberry and the arch liners with g101.
The next stage was the paint correction, I first snow foamed the car and left it to do its thing for five minutes, rinsed, and washed with the Waschpudel and dodo juice born to be mild using the two bucket method. I next clay barred the car with the Bilt-hamber, then took some paint depth readings to find out what I had to work with. There was 150+ microns on the panels and 275+ microns on the bonnet and front wings. I masked off the car with the 3m tape and set about it with the P1 and yellow 150mm 3m pad on the Makita 9227cb on a test panel on the back of the car to see what was what. Certain areas of the car required the more aggressive green pad to get the swirl marks out, however the yellow was used most. Next up to finish things off was the 3m 150mm blue pad with some more P1. I foamed, washed, rinsed with Aqua Gleam, and dried as before to get rid of any buffer splatter.
Time for the wax! I cleansed the paint with Swissvax cleaner fluid and working a panel at a time, applying the Best of Show on the bodywork, and Shield on the bumpers leaving it to cure for 5 minutes before buffing. The exterior plastics were dressed with the silo seal 1.5 apart from the wiper trim panel which had badly faded, so I wiped it with IPA and applied c4 trim restorer, which made it look like new.
The last thing to do was the interior, I hoovered every surface of the carpet then cleaned and dressed the leather with Swissvax products finishing of the plastics with Swissvax plastic protection. The work was completed over four months.