Peugeot RCZ - Kerry Thirkettle - Winner June 2014
Entered for the June 2014 competition.
Enter Competition | Back to Entries
Name: Kerry Thirkettle
Viewed: 4390 times.
Send to a Friend
How Kerry Used Our Products
Over the period of several weeks I set to preparing my RCZ for an Owners Meet. I had to put the men to shame!
First of all I started with cleaning the wheels, as always. These were power washed down and then sprayed with Car Chem Revolt's wheel cleaner. An excellent cleaner this. The front spokes and rear of the alloys are cleaned with a variety of brushes and the tyres scrubbed with Megs APC and brush to get them really clean before applying my favourite tyre dressing, Gtechniq T1. The alloys are protected with Gtechniq C1 which was applied several months ago and is still protecting them well.
Next it was on to cleaning the engine bay. The Sahara Desert had found a new home in my car so a light spray of the engine bay with power washer on a low setting. The bay was then cleaned up with a detailing brush and Megs APC. This was then sprayed with 303 Aerospace Protectant and left for a few hours, before being buffed off to leave a nice matt finish.
Next it was on to snow foam the car using Valet Pro Advanced Snow Foam. This has one of the best cleaning properties of all snow foams that I have used. Whilst this was dwelling I cleaned the front grill, panel gaps, window rubbers, petrol cap, door shuts with a detailing brush and Megs APC. The car was then power washed down.
The shampoo of choice on this occasion was Car Chem Tailor Made shampoo 1900:1. Highly concentrated only a tiny amount of shampoo is required for great cleaning power. This was then rinsed down using the open hose method and deionised water from my DI vessel.
The paintwork was then fully decontaminated using Tardis and Iron X which are sprayed on the paint, left to dwell for only a few minutes, agitated if necessary and then power washed down. Finally the paintwork is clayed, just for a final finish to make sure the paintwork is as smooth as possible. The paintwork was now feeling silky smooth. Now we were ready for machine polishing.
Polishing was carried out over a series of days and nights using Meguiar’s 105 and 205. Paint readings are around 120um so not much to worry about there. For most parts, 205 was all that was required on a white hexlogic pad and Chemical Guys Optical Micro Fibre polishing pad. My new LED Rechargeable 10w lamp was great at picking up imperfections and swirls in the paintwork and helped to light up the garage on dark, rainy nights. I was really happy with the results that I was getting. To aid the shine even more I decided to apply Clearkote Red Moose glaze to enhance the flake in the metallic red paint, which it did well and added a real wetness to the paint.
A few days earlier a fellow RCZ owner had kindly painted my brake calipers red for me. I detailed his car in return. Fair trade to me!
This added a nice touch to my car and was really pleased with the results. I had noticed that the wheel nut covers looked like they are started corroding so decided to take them off and polish them up to see if that improved things. Polished using wire wood and the Britemax polishing twins brought them up nicely. They were then sealed with Gtechniq C1 to keep them protected for some time to come. These were refitted, looking all shiny and the wheels were finished off by dressing the tyres with two coats of Gtechniq T1.
Furthermore, I had also bought a new gear knob (from the RCZ R) which matched my interior rather well.
The exterior trim was in need of some treatment so this was cleaned thoroughly and wiped down with panel wipe before Nanolex Trim Rejuvenator was applied using a small foam pad. Left the trim looking like new.
The LSP that I choose was Black Magic Details, Miura Best of Show wax. A very easy to apply wax that removes with considerable ease. Two coats were applied, an hour apart. The wax added to the clarity of the paintwork and the flake was really popping.
The exhausts were polished up using the Britemax polishing twins and wire wool. These were left to haze before being buffed up to a lovely shine.
So just the little jobs left to do now such as the rubber seals being treated with Swissvax Seal Feed. The interior was cleaned up using Werkstat Prime on the brightwork, Absolution to clean up the mats and carpets before being protected long term with Gtechniq I1 fabric protectant.
The leather seats and leather effect dash and door cards were cleaned with Furniture Clinic leather cleaner and then protected with their Protector, which is retreated every 3 months.
So finally, the car was finished and I was really happy with the results.