Datsun 260Z GT-R - Ian Cormack
Entered for the May 2015 competition.
Enter Competition | Back to Entries
Name: Ian Cormack
Model: 260Z GT-R
Viewed: 1491 times.
Send to a Friend
How Ian Used Our Products
1978 260Z which to which I fitted an RB26 engine from an R34 GT-R along with many other upgrades of which there are too many to list however the main items are:
- RB26 engine built by RB Motorsport
- HKS GT-SS turbos
- Custom Pro Alloy Radiator and Intercooler
- RB25 gearbox with Nismo Twin Plate Clutch
- Custom Mil spec wiring Harness
- Link G4+ Xtreme ECU
- OS Giken 1.5 Way Superlock LSD
- Custom Coilovers
- Wilwood brakes on the front and a custom setup on the rear.
- Running 480HP & 500lbft
I love the performance but it has to look good also and as such I am very fussy about keeping it looking its best by careful detailing.
I waited until I had finished the mechanical work before giving it a full detail as I knew it would get some scratches along the way. Once that was finished I got straight onto the detail. I started by washing underneath and in the arches using shampoo and degreaser where necessary, washed the wheels with Bilberry wheel cleaner and re-sealed with Poorboys wheel sealer (I coated them with Gtechniq C5 when I bought them) I then started on the body using Meguiar's shampoo to give to it good wash using the two bucket method with a lambswool mitt before going over it with Autoglym tar remover and finally Sonus Detailing Clay after which I washed it again and dried using a drying towel with some Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer for lubrication.
The paintwork was in pretty good condition and the only areas I used the 3M Fast Cut on were the wings which had picked up some deeper scratches from the amount of leaning over required for the engine swap work. The rest of the car was completed using Menzerna Power finish to remove fine scratches and swirls and Menzerna Super finish to remove any marks left from buffing and leave the final gloss. I did use a glaze in the form of Sounus SF-X 3 on the bonnet and wings but to be honest the finish was already so good its was hard to see much difference after this stage. All that was left for this stage was the exhaust which I polished with Autoglym Metal Polish and as I like my engine bay to be like a work of art I wanted this polished also however due to all the angles involved I used Autoglym SRP by hand.
For the protection stage I sealed the finish with 2 coats of Zaino Z2 Pro sealant and finished with a coat of Victoria Wax - Concours Wax and some Meguiars tyre gel for the rubber. I'm all about the driving, but I don't drive it in the wet and its stored in an Airchamber over winter so I expect the finish to last for a long time.